Smoothies are a great way to start your day. But they can sometimes be boring and unsatisfying. Well, I’ve got one for you that is both easy to make, delicious, and nutritious. It’s the perfect breakfast smoothie recipe with banana! This easy breakfast smoothie recipe is tasty enough for dessert too! Just make it the night before so you have time to enjoy it over a few hours or give it as an after school snack for your kids.
How to Freeze Fresh Fruit for Smoothies
Many grocery stores carry fresh fruit in season. So when you find really cheap smoothie ingredients, stock up and freeze them for later! Wash the fresh fruit, remove the stems and peels if necessary, then cut into slices or chunks.
Place about a cup of fresh fruit in a freezer bag and lay it flat on a cookie sheet before freezing.
When frozen solid, you can transfer to a plastic ice cube tray.
or another container for easy measuring when making smoothies later on.
Tips for Making Banana Smoothies
- Use ripe bananas as they are sweeter, softer and easier to blend than unripe bananas.
- Frozen bananas blend well in smoothies. You can even use the fresh cut up pieces you prepared in advance. Just make sure to freeze them whole before blending. You can also freeze banana slices after cutting them into rounds or other shapes with cookie cutters to add some texture while still using less actual fruit than you would with a whole frozen banana.
- You can also add other frozen fruit to your smoothie. Frozen blueberries, strawberries and even mango slices can be added to the mix.
- Make sure whatever fruit you use isn’t too ripe. otherwise it will turn a brown colour while blending and become tough in the blender. So make sure to get it just a little bit overripe but not quite enough that it starts turning brown in the blender too quickly.
- If using fresh fruit, consider adding a few ice cubes to the blender before blending to help your smoothie become cool and refreshing right away.
- Add yoghurt for a creamier consistency. You can even use frozen yoghurt if you want something that is thick enough to eat with a spoon. Adding yoghurt also helps to keep sugars from spiking in the bloodstream too quickly after eating, which will help keep your energy steady throughout the day.
- If you aren’t using a frozen banana, add a few ice cubes or cold water to the blender to get your smoothie recipe with banana started. You can also use juice if you want to pack extra vitamins and minerals into your morning meal.
- Like the texture of ice cream in your smoothie recipe with banana? Try using frozen yoghurt blended with an organic protein powder instead. It adds a creamy texture that is hard to beat.
- You could also try oatmeal as a substitute it. but don’t make it too thick or the smoothie will get too thick and hard to drink.
- Whole frozen bananas can be used as an ice cube in your smoothies to add extra sweetness without having to use added sugars in the recipe.
- Try adding 1/2 a frozen banana per serving and freeze it in your freezer if you plan on making these smoothies often enough for it to become worthwhile.
- Don’t forget to de-skin your frozen bananas before blending them, otherwise your smoothie will be chunky and grainy.
Banana Smoothie Variations –
- For a sweet treat go for banana ice cream. You can also replace half of the banana with vanilla ice cream and swirl the two together. This is a great way to make a nice creamy smoothie recipe with banana that isn’t as full of sugar as some other fruit smoothies but still tastes super cool and refreshing.
- For something more savoury try substituting soured milk in place of yoghurt in your smoothie recipe. This really brings the sweet and sour taste of the banana to the forefront and makes an interesting smoothie that is different from the rest.
- Try using nutritional yeast flakes instead of yoghurt in your smoothie recipe. This has a real cheesy flavour that is quite impressive when you try it.
- You can even add it to make your smoothie cheesey, which is a great option for those who want a more nutritionally rich treat without having to use dairy in their recipes.
- Add more fruit. If you find that your smoothie is too thick, try adding more fruit to thicken it.
- You can also add a scoop of natural protein powder in shakes to create a bit of extra crunch and nutritional value if you are being careful with the amount of sugar you are consuming in your day.
Banana Smoothie Recipe –
Healthy, Tasty, Refreshing!
How to Make Banana Smoothie Today –
Banana Smoothies are enjoyable breakfast or snack options that are easy to make and so full of delicious flavour you will feel great after drinking them.
- 1 cup of very ripe banana, preferably frozen in chunks
- 1/2 of a cup of chopped pineapple (canned or from a can is fine)
- 1/2 cup of orange juice (not from concentrate) or apple juice (not from concentrate) or lemonade (freshly squeezed is best, but not necessary)
- 1 tablespoon of honey [optional, amount may be increased for taste]
Frozen bananas are said to be better than fresh. Advantages are that they are less messy, last longer, and are more economical.
Remove the banana from the freezer and place in a blender. If frozen in chunks, it will be easier to blend this way. Be sure to use a big enough container [you may need to cut your banana into chunks if it isn’t frozen into large pieces].
Add pineapple and orange juice to the blender and blend until smooth. more orange juice if necessary until all chunks are removed. more honey if necessary for taste.
Although the honey is optional, I would recommend using it if you’re going to use the smoothie as a breakfast smoothie. Use the amount that suits you best depending on your own personal tastes and how ripe your banana is. The riper your banana is, the sweeter it will be. If you don’t have honey, use orange juice and add a little maple syrup or some agave later on. Pour into a glass and drink immediately. If you want to store this for later, then put it in an air-tight container and keep refrigerated. Serve in chilled glasses and enjoy!
Enjoy this delicious and healthy breakfast smoothie recipe!
Read more –
When you enjoy this easy breakfast smoothie recipe, make sure you share it with your friends.