Barbecue Chicken is a new dish that has been popping up on menus all over America. It consists of chicken that is marinated overnight in a spicy sauce, then grilled in the final hours. It’s one of those dishes that has the ability to please almost anyone, from young kids to grandmas, and it’s pretty easy to make at home as well.
Barbecue chicken is very simple in terms of ingredients. You have to find a marinade/ingredient that satisfies everyone. I like chicken so I’m definitely partial to the recipe that I’m going to show you today. You don’t need a lot to create the perfect Barbecue Chicken, just a few simple
- Chicken breasts- I like using skinless, boneless chicken breasts instead of the whole chicken to keep everything a little more sanitary and easy to eat.
- Barbecue sauce (sweet and spicy or your favorite brand)
- Cayenne pepper- I use Crystal’s Hot Sauce but there’s many hot sauces out there you can use. You want the sauce nice and spicy and something that will stick well with the chicken.
- Garlic powder- I like using garlic powder instead of garlic chopped because the garlic powder seems to blend better with the added cayenne pepper.
- Turmeric- If you would like a more yellow color to the chicken, use turmeric in place of some or all of the cayenne powder. If you don’t want it to be too yellow, use just a pinch.
- Sesame seeds- Add in the sesame seeds and cook on medium high heat for a few minutes to toast them. Then they will get a little more flavorful when you serve them and they seem to taste good with all types of foods.
- Olive oil- I like using olive oil because it has a lower concentration of fat which is better for you when you are eating chicken. You don’t need much though, just enough to coat the chicken.
- A little parsley- I use 2 good handfuls of leaves.
If you look at the ingredients, you will notice that there are no spices in this recipe, at least not many spices. That’s because I don’t want the sauce to be too sweet nor too spicy! The best way to get a proper balance is to combine the right amount of each spice in a ratio that satisfies your taste buds and liking. I’ve found that a good mix of sweet and spicy is the best way to go because the combination of flavors is more satisfying.
How Barbecue Chicken Made?
- The first step in making the perfect barbecue chicken is to get it started with a marinade. This can be done either in the morning or at night before you go to sleep, whichever works best for you. The marinade should be prepared while your chicken breasts are thawing and being cleaned. (It’s a lot easier to do all this when the chicken is frozen. If you forget to take the chicken out of the freezer, don’t worry; it will still work. Just give it more time to thaw.
- Marinate your chicken breasts in a container that’s big enough to hold all the ingredients. Pour your barbecue sauce on top of the chicken and add in some sesame seeds and cayenne pepper. This is where you get to being creative with your own recipe because you can use as much or as little of each ingredient as you like.
- The next day, you will notice that your chicken has absorbed some of the marinade. Give it a proper marinating for about 4-6 hours or overnight for best results.
- Heat your grill to medium high and coat the grates with olive oil. Sear the chicken on each side for about 3-4 minutes and then put the lid on your grill. The chicken will need to cook for about 15 minutes until it is done all the way through. (The internal temperature should be at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Once the chicken has cooked, slice it into strips or cubes and serve with a side of macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes, green beans and/or any vegetable that you like.
If you like chicken, then this is a simple and easy recipe that will be sure to impress even the pickiest eaters!
Why is it called BBQ Chicken?
The name, Barbecue Chicken, is derived from the barbecue sauce that is used in the recipe. The ingredients are similar to those that would be used on a barbeque style chicken and hence the name for this dish.
The idea of the recipe is to create a chicken dish in the Italian style or as close to Italian as possible. It’s not an easy task by any means but I think that with the right ingredients, it can be done.
The most difficult part of it is finding the right ingredients. In Italy, you will find many vinegars and other products that won’t be found in America so it may take some searching to get exactly what you need.
The Trick To Good Grilled BBQ Chicken
The trick to making good grilled BBQ chicken is marinating it. The longer you have time to let your chicken soak in the marinade, the better it will turn out. Having some cayenne pepper in your sauce is also a good idea because it helps give the chicken some more heat.
Using the best ingredients is also a must if you want to make great BBQ chicken. The best way to do this is to go with organic chickens from a local farmer or a store that sells them.
How Barbecue Chicken Long To Grill
On average, chicken takes about 15 minutes to cook on the grill. The time varies on different grills and even different types of chicken so it’s good to keep a close eye on it.
The best way to tell if your BBQ chicken is done is to use an instant read thermometer. The internal temperature of your chicken should be at least 165 degrees when you take it off the grill.
Serve this with
Home made barbecue sauce
Corn on the cob
Tips for Making the Best Barbecue Chicken:
- Cut your chicken into small pieces so that it cooks faster and more evenly. You can also use a couple of different types of meats like turkey and beef to make a more flavorful BBQ chicken.
- Add in some extra seasoning to your BBQ chicken when using beef or turkey; beef and turkey can handle it better than chicken.
- Don’t use chicken breasts for grilling because they take too long to cook and are hard to find in stores. If you can find them then go for it but otherwise I would recommend that you opt for chicken legs or thighs when making Barbecue Chicken.
- Marinate your chicken before cooking it so that the flavors of the BBQ sauce will be absorbed by the meat and not just stay on the surface of the meat like you would normally find with a non-marinated meal.
- The barbecue sauce you use should be acidic and very sweet.
- Season your chicken with salt, pepper and paprika before cooking it on the BBQ grill to make sure that the meat stays moist and doesn’t dry out during cooking. You will also want to add a little bit of olive oil to the grates so that your chicken doesn’t stick to them as you are cooking them.
- Avoid using poultry seasoning because it won’t make a difference in the flavor of your food.
I hope your family enjoys it as much as mine does. Tell them to visit my blog for more recipes like this one. Please feel free to leave any feedback you have and tell me what you think.