Are you craving some apple pie this time of year? Here is the best home made apple pie recipe that you can try out. Why make a homemade apple pie when there are many delicious options available in stores and on the web? Because, it’s so much easier to make your own pies at home than to wait in line at a busy bakery—and you know it’s good for you!
An easy way to get started is by simply measuring soft apples by filling them with sugar, cinnamon, and cold water. Add other ingredients such as cornstarch and baking powder that you can easily get at your local grocery store. I swear by this recipe; it’s my favourite! If you are looking for easy apple recipes, then you have got to try this one out. Have fun making some yummy new recipes!
What kind of apples makes the best apple pie
All apples are not created equal.
You do want to pick the best tart green apples for baking in pies or for making applesauce. There are three main kinds of apples that one can use.
- Granny Smith
Granny Smith and MacIntosh are excellent when it comes to baking as they hold their shape well when cooked and don’t turn mushy. While on the other hand, Gala is more of a sweet apple.
Both Granny Smith and MacIntosh apples do not keep well for long periods of time. They bruise easily and turn brown when you cut them open. On the other hand, Gala apples are best to use when eating fresh, since they are better at holding their rich colour.
When you need to store apples for apple pie recipe
If you want to make a homemade apple pie recipe, you will need to store the apples for a longer period of time.
- Avoid storing apples in a plastic bag as it can create browning, which will only make the apple less tasty.
- If storing them in the fridge, place apples in a plastic container and seal it well. The best place to store is at room temperature.
- If you want to store apples for an apple pie recipe for a longer period of time, freezing is the best way to go.
- Wash them first before putting them in a bag and leaving them in the freezer.
The best technique for a perfect pie crust
There are two things in baking that are very important. They are the crust, and the pie filling. The crust is the base of any homemade apple pie recipe and it’s a traditional part of making a great apple pie.
The trick with pies is to make them in advance, which means you need to make your own pie crust recipe ahead of time so that you can prepare it for baking as soon as possible.
What is the best way to make apple pie crust?
There are a few different methods for making pie crust. The best one I have found is by making the crust from scratch. It’s nice to use your own family recipe, but if you don’t have one then I am sure that you can find a basic recipe online.
All you need is flour, salt, shortening, and cold water. This can make two crusts of pie. The other method is using a ready made pie crust and then adding your own mix to it in order to make it taste like home.
Before making the homemade apple pie recipe, the best trick that I’ve found is to let the crust chill overnight before you roll it out. This will make it easier to roll out without breaking any of the pieces.
How To Make The Best Home Made Apple Pie Recipe!
Apple Pie Recipe Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt (or to taste)
- 18 ounces of cold unsalted butter, cut into small chunks
- 2 egg yolks (for the filling)
- 6-7 medium tart apples such as Granny Smith or MacIntosh. Try not to use too many sweet apples as this will make the pie sweeter for everyone.
- 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg – optional
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch blended with 3 tablespoons of water. This will take care of the thickening agent. Add more water if needed.
- A pinch of salt (optional)
1.Start by making the pie crust.
2.Toss all of your dry ingredients together in a bowl and then add cold butter, tossing them together until evenly coated.
3.Use a pastry blender or even better, two knives to cut the ingredients together until you get cornmeal-looking pieces. This will take around 20 rotations when using the pastry blender or 6-7 knife passes by hand. Never use an electric mixer, since this can cause the fats to melt and ruin your crust!
4.Once the ingredients are blended together, add the water. Mix well with a fork until you get a rough dough ball.
5.Shape the dough into two disks, cover them in plastic wrap, and freeze for at least 1 hour.
6.In the meantime, mix all of your filling ingredients in a bowl. Stir well to make sure that they are evenly mixed and then set aside until you’re ready to use it later on in your baking process.
7.The next day, take out one of your pie crust disks and let it thaw for about 20-30 minutes at room temperature until it’s pliable.
8.Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat.
9.Roll out the dough into a 12-inch round, which should be around 1/8th of an inch thick.
10.Gently place the rolled out pie crust on the baking sheet and fill with your apple filling. You can easily spoon your filling into the centre of your pie.
11.Once you’ve added all of the ingredients to your pie, roll out the second dough disk and cover your pie with this crust.
12.Use any leftover dough and cut out star shapes, which you should place on top of the pie for decoration purposes.
13.Bake your pie at 375 degrees F for roughly 50-60 minutes. After around 40 minutes, you should see that there is a doughy crust on the top of your pie. This is what it will look like in your oven:
14.The pie will be done when the edges have browned slightly and the fruit inside is rosy and tender. Test the pie by sticking a toothpick into it to see if the toothpick comes out clean or not.
15.Take the pie out of the oven and let it cool completely before cutting into it. It will be especially important that you allow the crust to cool completely before cutting as this will help prevent crumbling.
Apple Pie Recipe Tips:
- At times, your pie will look like there’s a gap in between your crust and the filling – this is normal. The heat from your oven is what’s causing this and if you bake for too long, your pie may end up falling apart. Bake it for shorter amounts of time, and ensuring that you have a good crust is crucial to your pie’s success.
- If you want to make the crust thicker, then you can add an additional tablespoon of cornstarch in order to thicken it.
- Apple pie doesn’t really need any extra topping. You just need a little sprinkle of confectioners sugar or cinnamon on top for decoration purposes. However, some people like to add ice cream on the pie after it has cooled down just to make the dessert more appealing.
- Make sure that you use a baking sheet that is covered in parchment paper to avoid it getting stuck to the bottom of your pie.
- The cooking time of this apple pie recipe will vary depending on your oven and other factors. It can take up to 60 minutes in the oven.
The best way to cut and serve an Apple Pie
If you want to serve your apple pie at a Thanksgiving dinner party or any other occasion, try to create the fanciest platter that you can. Slice your pie into circles rather than wedges and add in a healthy amount of whipped cream on top. It’s nice to garnish this with a few dried cherries or cinnamon sticks.
You can also put the whipped cream on the bottom of the plate and then set your slice on top of it so that it looks like it’s sitting on top of clouds. Add additional cinnamon sticks on the side to complete this look.
If you want to make a fancy platter out of one of your apple pies, try using your favourite cookie cutter and cutting it into a shape such as hearts or flowers. Make sure that you place it in the centre of the plate and then fill in the sides with whipped cream, strawberries, and a few other decorative elements for something that’s very eye-catching.
What is the best way to store apple pie?
Store your pie in the fridge and allow it to cool completely before putting it into the freezer. This will prevent your pie from getting soggy and then falling flat when you’re ready to serve it.
More Great Recipes –
Apple pie is a classic dessert that will never get old and it’s another one of those homey desserts that will bring back memories of simpler times. You can easily make an apple pie your own by trying out these unique combinations or adding on additional toppings.
You don’t have to be intimidated by the idea of making this dessert anymore and this post can help you to achieve a well-rounded apple pie recipe if you follow all of the instructions carefully.
If you like this recipe please share with your friends!